Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Coffee Shop Dilemma

One day after I wrote the yummy post about all the coffee shop treats I found on coffee shop Facebook pages, Cafe Roche posts this:
"Civet Cat Coffee is here! $49.99 per French Press. Great Gift for any Coffee Connoisseur!"
Thanks for the conversation
starter, Cafe Roche!
What is it and why is it 50 bucks, you ask? If you haven't seen Morgan Freeman's explanation to Jack Nicholson in The Bucket List, read all about it on Wikipedia, then hurry back to the blogspot.

Now, you're back. My dilemma is, do I say "Blech, gross, how could you??" and forget about it? Or, intrigued by two of the greatest actors ever, do I try it to see what all the fuss is about? Or, does the price pretty much weed out all the people who aren't already believers?

Now, the information is in your head and YOU have a dilemma. My suggestion: Buy the coffee, invite all your friends over, and watch The Bucket List. You'll laugh, you'll cry, and you'll start writing your own list. The experience is probably worth the $50 bucks and if the coffee tastes great, it's a bonus. As we near the start of a New Year, the timing couldn't be better.

Now that's some profound advice from CoffeeCat (no relation to Civet Cat.)

1 comment:

  1. Coffee Cat,
    I also experienced, the same Dilemma. 12 years ago, when I first heard about Civet Cat Coffee, I thought nothing could be more unappetizing.
    Then when I saw it on the Bucket List, I thought "Well, if its good enough for Jack Nicolson....Nope still too gross to try, even once."
    Back when the movie first came out, I was scraping my pennies together just to buy a $.99 cup of Tim Horton's. To pay $99 for a 4 ounce bag of Kopi Lawak was financially out of the question.
    Now that I own a Coffee Shop, I frequently have curious customers asking me about "Cat Poop Coffee." I found myself explaining that Civet Cats, with their sensitive noses only eat the coffee berries at their peak ripeness. Then, as they pass through their GI track, the enzymes break down the proteins, that would otherwise cause the coffee to be bitter. Then after they are discarded, they are sanitized, roasted at 400 degrees, and brewed in 200 water. The probability that bacteria would survive, is less than the amount that's in the food we eat every day. It still doesn't take away the thought of consuming something that came from animal droppings.
    I asked myself, How could I possibly call myself a Coffee Connoisseur with out trying this stuff?
    One Sunday morning, my husband and I decided that we've put this off long enough. Spontaneously, we ordered it and decided that we would feature it at the coffee shop during the Holidays, and if it doesn't sell we would French Press if for ourselves on Christmas morning.
    If that's the case, I'll give let you know how it was ;)

    Sarah Hummell
    Owner
    Cafe Roche

    ReplyDelete

No negative reviews of coffee shops, please. CoffeeCat likes 'em all!